Skip to main
University-wide Navigation

Advanced Placement (AP) Program

The University of Kentucky recognizes examinations of the College Board Advanced Placement Program.  A high school senior who wishes to have AP scores evaluated for academic credit or placement should have the results sent to the Office of Undergraduate Admission and University Registrar. UK's code is 1837.  Academic departments have designated the current policy for students who score a 3 or higher on the Advanced Placement examinations.  UK does not recognize College Board SAT II Subject Tests for Placement or credit purposes.

View UK's AP Chart

Visit the CollegeBoard website for more information

International Baccalaureate (IB) Program

The University of Kentucky recognizes course credit earned through the International Baccalaureate (IB) Program. Generally, course credit is awarded for scores of 5, 6, or 7 on either the Standard Level exam or the Higher-Level exam. Any student desiring credit must request an IB transcript to be sent to the University.   Course credit awarded through the IB program will apply toward degree requirements just as if the course had been taken on campus, except that there will not be a specific letter grade associated with the course. Instead, a designation of CR – credit – will be awarded and the grade-point average will not be affected.  In some cases, as noted on the IB Program Chart, additional curriculum information must be supplied by the student’s high school before credit will be awarded.

View UK's IB Chart

Visit the International Baccalaureate website for more information

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

UK participates in the national testing program of The College Board. CLEP Examinations cover specific material common to courses at many universities. Credit for University courses is awarded to students who obtain the listed scores of 50 or higher on the appropriate Examinations.

View UK's CLEP Chart

Visit the CollegeBoard website for more information

Special Departmental Examinations

Almost any course offered at the University is available for credit by special examination, regardless of whether a student has audited the course, is currently enrolled in it, or has studied it independently. These examinations are prepared and administered by the offering department, and are usually equivalent to a final examination. Special Departmental Examinations are offered without charge.

Application for Special Exam

Visit the UK Bulletin website for more information


In order to qualify for a special examination students must:

  • Be currently enrolled
  • Be in good academic standing
  • Have approval from the offering department chairperson (undergraduate students)
  • Have approval from the director of graduate studies (graduate students)


  1. Students submit the completed Application for Special Exam form to the offering department chairperson (undergraduate students) or the director of graduate studies (graduate students)
  2. Upon approval, the educational unit will assign an examiner to schedule and proctor the special exam
  3. The department will complete the Application for Special Exam form by awarding a grade and email the form to the Office of the University Registrar (OUR)
  4. The OUR will apply the student's credit to their academic record. If the student is currently enrolled in the course the OUR will formally remove the student from the class

Need Help?

If you did not find the information you are looking for or need additional help regarding credit by examination we are here to support you.

Contact Us