Skip to main
University-wide Navigation

Application for Special Exam

Undergraduate students requesting a special examination must apply in writing to the chairperson of the department that offers the course. Graduate students should apply to the director of graduate studies in the department offering the course. Applicants should include evidence that they are reasonably prepared for the examination. These examinations are prepared and administered by the offering department and are usually equivalent to a final examination. Students must be enrolled and in good standing at UK. The examinations are offered without charge. Almost any course offered at the University is available for credit by special examination, regardless of whether a student has audited the course, is currently enrolled in it, or has studied it independently. Please note, most elementary and intermediate foreign language courses are not available on the basis of a special examination.

Chosen Name Change Form

The University of Kentucky allows students, faculty, and staff to designate their gender identity, chosen pronouns, and chosen first and/or middle name to the university community regardless of whether or not it matches their legal gender or name. Your chosen information will appear on your myUK portal as well as class rosters. Please note that legal last names cannot be changed using this form. Email completed form to or submit to the Registrar's Office in 10 Funkhouser Building.

Extension of Incomplete ('I') Grade

The Instructor of Record may request an extension of the period for the I grade beyond the normal 12-month limit by completing this form and submitting it to the Registrar’s Office. This extension will be limited to no longer than an additional 12 months from the end of the original academic term. If the Instructor of Record is not available, the Department Chair or Dean of the College in which the course is offered may complete this form to extend the allowable period for the I grade for a period up to 12 months.

Legal Name Change Form

Government-issued documentation is required showing the new name requested.

Medical Documentation Form

This form is required to be submitted directly from the medical provider's office as supporting documentation to a student's tuition appeal. Students who are submitting a tuition appeal based on medical reasons, must first complete the Tuition Appeal Form and then have their medical provider submit this form along with a letter of support for the appeal to be considered.

Readmission for Degree

This is for previous students who have amassed enough credit hours to receive their Bachelor’s degree who just want to apply for a degree for a future term. If you have taken additional courses at another college or university and want to transfer in those hours, you will also want to use this form, as well as request an official transcript to be sent to the Office of Admissions. The form needs to go to your college advising unit so they can verify that you have completed all degree requirements.

Release for Letter of Recommendation

This form that may be used by students to provide written consent to release confidential information in reference to a letter of recommendation being sought from University of Kentucky faculty or staff. Please note that some departments/colleges may use their own release form. Students should check with the faculty or staff they wish to obtain a letter of recommendation from to see if there are any department/college specific form requirements.

Repeat Option Form

An undergraduate student has the option to repeat once as many as three different completed courses (including special exams as described below) with only the grade, credit hours, and quality points for the second completion used in computing the student’s academic standing and credit for graduation. The limit of three repeat options holds for a student’s entire undergraduate career (including when academic bankruptcy is exercised as described below), no matter how many degrees or programs are attempted. A student may not use the repeat option when retaking a course on a Pass/Fail basis if the course was originally taken for a letter grade. A student may use a repeat option when repeating a course for a letter grade if the course was originally taken pass/fail.

Request for Replacement Diploma Form

Used by students to request a replacement diploma from the Registrar's Office. A replacement diploma is requested for a number of reasons including: replacement of damaged or lost diplomas, name changes, or replica for academic/employment purposes​.

Request for Schedule Change

Authorized UK departments submit this form to the University Registrar. This form must be completed by a department when they want to: (a) change a course in the printed schedule, (b) create new sections for courses in the printed schedule, (c) drop a course or (d) change the credits, days, hour, building, or room number for a course.

Request to Remove AP-IB Credit

This form is used to remove course credit awarded through the Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) programs. By doing so, you will lose the earned hours for the credit awarded. The UK course will replace the AP/IB credit in terms of earned hours, GPA, and Dean's List calculation.

Residency Appeal Application

This form is used to appeal a student's current status of residency for tuition purposes. A completed, notarized application along with supporting documentation must be submitted to the Residency Officer. 

Student Information Release Authorization Form

This form is intended only for students that no longer have access to the myUK Student Portal and need to update how their information can be disclosed by the University of Kentucky, such as third-party release of confidential information or to change the 'opt out' status of directory information release. Current or future students should use the myUK Student Portal to make these changes.

Transient or Visiting Student Form

Current UK students planning to take courses as a visiting or transient student at another institution will need to complete a Transient or Visiting Student Form. The form will need to be completed and signed by the student and their UK academic advisor before being sent to the Registrar’s Office. Registrar staff will sign and send the form to the Visiting Institution.

Tuition Appeal Form

The tuition appeals form is provided for students who feel that tuition and fee charges for a particular term were unwarranted. Reasons for uses of the form can be for medical, financial, or personal hardships the student encounters during the term in question. Appeals are required to be accompanied by supporting documentation before a decision can be provided.

UK Authorization to Withdrawal - Spring 2024

You may withdraw yourself from any classes through myUK during the semester. However, if you are withdrawing from all classes during a Fall or Spring semester you will not able to self-withdraw from your last class. After you have withdrawn from all other classes you must submit this form to complete the process and be withdrawn from your final class. Your full withdraw will be effective as of the date the form is submitted.